Friday, November 2, 2007

That Christmas look.

I had a day off today.

We went to a store that had their Christmas isles filled with all sorts of delights. I took it all in. I touched the little delicate ornaments, played the music from the various turning Santas and bears. I savored the richness of the popular seasonal shades of red and green, the dazzling golds and silvers. I looked over the prices. Who's going to pay a hundred bucks for a standing bear holding a "Welcome" sign. I can do that for free.........not quite as cute, I know, but a lot cheaper.

There were lights of every kind. New energy efficient LED lights in various lengths....... but now, the white lights are way more expensive than the green lights. Who decided that????? I guess it's just supply and demand like everything else. Perhaps husband and I will take the middle ground and go for the red!

While on my journey down the Christmas Stocking isle, I passed a lady who was taking her time too, like I was. She had a sort of peaceful smile on her face and we exchanged glances. I recognized that look immediately. We were Christmas soul sisters. I think she recognized the same look in me too, as we passed silently by..........

Christmas does that to me. It makes me feel peaceful. I can't describe it quite, but it's just there. I want to be generous. I want to express joy. No time to waste being rude or argumentative. I will stay away from those things.

Christmas makes me feel so many things.........not just from material "things" either.

Christmas makes me want to help folks in need and to go about doing things for people without them knowing it was me. That's fun!

Tomorrow morning a bunch of us from Gateway church will do that. Feeding folks who need to be fed.

It will be even better than a walk down an isle sporting Christmas "stuff".

Lord, give me that Christmas look, the look that portrays "loving my neighbor as myself".

No comments: