Wednesday, February 6, 2008

Lent

Well, today begins the season of Lent. Forty days before Easter, I believe.

There are folks who give up certain things as a sign of sacrifice....representing Christ's sacrificing his life. There are others who take more time to be in solitude and others offer more of what they have to the poor. Many ways to make it a time of "giving up" something, all with the underlying thought of attempting to offer whatever we have to God as a sacrifice.

I thought a bit differently this year about Lent. Having these blasted shingles and all, I figured the reason I broke out with them was because my body was somewhat run down. A little stressed and a lot tired. It needs to be nurtured. It needs more rest. This past week I've been staying home during the afternoons, just to rest my body.....not necessarily sleep.....just rest. Since I was a kid, I have always needed more sleep than most people. Just how I'm made. Eight hours minimum.

So, in that light, I have decided to make a conscious effort to make my body more whole by getting to bed by at least 10 p.m. Now, I know that isn't giving up anything but I figured that God gave me this body to serve Him and if I don't treat it properly, I won't be doing any serving at all. My offering to God for this Lenten season, is the time I will take to nourish his gift to me....my whole body.

In my rest, I make time to talk to God too, about people and circumstances and about life in general.

I'm attempting to watch more closely what I eat too.....other than the odd custard-filled crepe or dish of ice cream......I'm trying.

God, let this offering of my rested body, be OK with you............

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

that's cool.

I respect your commitment and I hope you have a good and well rested Lent.

Sharon Kent said...

Thanks Randall. I suppose it could be deemed a cop-out, but I have decided not to take it that way. Lent this year, will be a time of rest.

Dixie Vandersluys said...

What I've been slowly learning lately is that God loves me and that I am lovable. In that same vein, I thought it would be good for me to fully experience God's love this Lenten season. I'd thought of making it a time of indulgence b/c of the growth I've been making in the area of feeling "worth it". But that seems a bit contradictory to what it's all about, even if it would be perfectly appropriate given what God has been teaching me lately. So instead I'm giving up bread. Because bread is my comfort and I should find more comfort in God.

Sharon Kent said...

Ya, giving up something is difficult, even if it IS giving up more waking hours in the day.