Sunday, April 27, 2008

Thankfulness

When I look at all I have, when I see a family that I love and who loves me back, when I begin to fathom the depth of the love that God has for me.....my heart is thankful.

As Marc this morning spoke from the book of Acts in Chapter 17 where the writer speaks of "the unknown God".........it is that "unknown" God I am thankful to. He is not unknown to me. He is to many.....but not to me. I am able to recognize all he has done for me, how he has changed me, and the infiniteness of his grace........... and my heart is thankful.

I see the seasons change. I see the loveliness of a flower in bloom. I hear the cry of a baby in need of her mothers touch. I feel the soft, warm, spring breeze on my cheeks and fragrance of the evening air as life begins its ascent from the depths of the earth.....and my heart is thankful.

I hear those speak of knowing the secrets of the universe, how it began, where it began, and how it has evolved......but in MY heart, I recognize the Master designer, the Maker of heaven and earth and of babies and flowers, and sea and sky and humbly bow before his omnipotence.

God is amazing.......and my heart is thankful.

Here's where it speaks of "the unknown god" in the Bible: Acts 17

"Paul then stood up in the meeting of the Areopagus and said: "Men of Athens! I see that in every way you are very religious. For as I walked around and looked carefully at your objects of worship, I even found an altar with this inscription: TO AN UNKNOWN GOD. Now what you worship as something unknown I am going to proclaim to you.

"The God who made the world and everything in it is the Lord of heaven and earth and does not live in temples built by hands. And he is not served by human hands, as if he needed anything, because he himself gives all men life and breath and everything else. From one man he made every nation of men, that they should inhabit the whole earth; and he determined the times set for them and the exact places where they should live. God did this so that men would seek him and perhaps reach out for him and find him, though he is not far from each one of us. 'For in him we live and move and have our being.' As some of your own poets have said, 'We are his offspring.'
"Therefore since we are God's offspring, we should not think that the divine being is like gold or silver or stone—an image made by man's design and skill. In the past God overlooked such ignorance, but now he commands all people everywhere to repent. For he has set a day when he will judge the world with justice by the man he has appointed. He has given proof of this to all men by raising him from the dead."

This is Good News...... and my heart is thankful!

(*italics are mine - sk)

No comments: