Sunday, May 11, 2008

It's Mother's Day....

I remember as a little girl, making my Mom beautiful cards for Mother's Day. Don't you?

My Mom kept a card I made for her. I must have been around 9 years old when I fashioned it. I found that card when we moved from the old house last year. I remember decorating it with special things, making a little poem to write inside and then making this enormous kleenex carnation which was glued to the front. Remember making those flowers? I thought it was the most beautiful card in all the world and it was on blue paper. I guess my Mom thought the same, since she kept it. It was the only way I could find to express to her how I felt about her.

Cards can do that. I received Mother's Day cards from husband and son/girlfriend as well as from daughter and her family. I think by now, around 7 p.m. I have read those cards at least a dozen times. They say things to me. They let me know that even with all of my imperfect ways and disasters at being a mother, there were things that God allowed them to see in my life to encourage them and to let them know they were loved. In those cards, they expressed their love and appreciation to me as their mom in their own words. Husband too.

What greater joy in all the world than being appreciated throughout ones life by ones children. And I say this with all humility. Without God giving me wisdom and guidance and understanding, I could never have given my children what they needed from a mother.

I know there are some moms out there who are not as fortunate as I, and my heart goes out to you....really. I feel your pain deeply. But I have found that there is always time for forgiveness and repentance and new beginnings. I believe that because I have experienced that.

God, may you restore relationships this night. May you be the giver of life. May you allow us enough grace to show that grace to our children, no matter what the situation is today. Teach us God what it is we need to know, and to accept life on your terms....not ours. Amen.

"Teach me your way, O Lord, and I will walk in your truth; give me an undivided heart, that I may fear your name." Psalm 86:11

No comments: