Friday, May 30, 2008

Tonight's the night....

Yes, it's "RELAY FOR LIFE" time, ladies & gentlemen. The Canadian Cancer Society is hosting the walk-a-thon this evening....that's walk-a-thon.....NOT "walk a thong".....as a retired co-worker put it..... so, we won't be walking our thongs, as some would have it, but we will be walking around the Harry Jerome Track tonight....with or without our thongs.......

Our team, the Forest Service "Studs & Peelers", will be out there in full force...a bit smaller team this year, but we'll be putting our efforts forth nonetheless.

As most teams do, we raise money all year long, so it's not a "one night stand", as it were. We host Wednesday Bistros, Pie Days, Cheesecake Bake-Offs, BBQ's and other miscellaneous fund raising activities. We work hard to raise money for this event, to put some much-needed cash into the Cancer Society for their needs.

I would like to publicly thank our captain, Val Nicholson, who is one great person to have as our team captain. She organizes, goes to extra meetings, does a million other little things, most of which go unnoticed to encourage us onward and upward towards this night. So, thanks a kazillion, Val. You're the very best captain we could ever hope for!!

This will be the first year I didn't stay overnight, I think. My body says I should get my sleep, so I shall leave the long wee hours of the morning to the rest of my teammates. They shall be walking and I shall be sleeping...I feel like I'm letting them down but I know my limits!

So, here I go 'til midnight or so. I managed to personally fund raise just short of $300......down from last years total for me, but I suppose when you put all the monies together, we will have done well.

Had better get husbands camouflage rain jacket....just in case it pours.

Thanks for supporting this great cause everyone. Three years ago, our co-worker died of cancer, while we walked the track....brings back memories..........

May the Lord watch over those who are suffering this night, for those who also will die this night and for their families.

2 comments:

Linea said...

Way to walk, Sharon!

Anonymous said...

You go girl!!!