Saturday, September 13, 2008

Talking...










It's vital to our being human, this talking business. Perhaps too, it isn't always the verbal messages we give to those in our presence. It can be a glance, a smile, or acknowledging the other person just by looking in their eyes.
I know I keep going back to our summer vacation, but I do believe it was the best vacation, or summer for that matter, I have ever had. It was a time of reflecting. It was a time for husband and I to sit over a cup of coffee either at the Hawood Inn, the Trading Post, the Evergreen Cafe or the 9th hole at the golf course and just be with one another. It was so good. When our children were with us it was all good too.
Daughter phoned this evening. When I said "hello"...she said...."what's wrong?" She knows me that well. The father of a good friend of ours had just past away today and I am feeling the effects of that sadness. She could tell by how I spoke that something was not quite right. So, we talked abuot that and the sadness it brings. It was good to hear her voice and to hear about school and classes and frustrations that come with wanting to do well. She has come so far...and I love her so much.....
Then son called shortly afterward. When I heard his voice I knew he wasn't feeling up to par. We chatted too, about what is deemed important in life, and the things that could/should be left on the back burner in the whole scheme of things. The achieving of excellent grades is not near as important as the practical lessons that we receive from those classes, those lessons that can be put to practical use for those in need. We talked about many things...love, expectations (self imposed and from others), traditions, school, our spiritual lives, death, hunting, finances (to some extent) and of course, our favorite item of discussion......cats (and our lack thereof!!). I prayed for him while he was on the phone with me....he was appreciative.
You see, talking...communicating....we do that with people don't we. We want to know them better. We want to be of help to them. We want to care for them. So, whether we go out for a cup of tea or coffee to sit around and chat or whether we invite someone over for a meal, it always involves interaction one way or another.
It's the same with God. How do we in all honesty, get to actually KNOW God anyway. Well, I've discovered it's the very same way as getting to know my children or my husband or friend. Communicating. Talking. Listening. That's how we get to know God.
It's Sunday tomorrow. How about inviting God out for tea.......

No comments: