Monday, October 20, 2008

My Granddaughter....

Brittney Elizabeth McKeaveney, October 16, 2008
I don't often speak about my granddaughter, Brittney, on this post for fear I will sound like some kind of obsessive grandma-type who brags about her grand-children all the time.

Having said that though, I do really love hearing about other people's grandkids, so I suppose perhaps others could indulge me once in a while, even if they're not quite as enthusiastic as I.

Brittney will get her learner's license in February! Not that it's a huge accomplishment or anything but it's the fact that she's actually that old now. In a very few short years she'll be like a host of other teens, off to university to "git more book learnin' "....

I invited her to read Scripture at Aunt Connie's funeral. She graciously accepted and rose to the task.

It was her first "family" funeral and the first time she had ever participated in a funeral. She had a special place in Auntie Connie's heart too, so I knew it would be a difficult task for her to accomplish...and do well, without her emotions playing a huge part in all of it....being a teenager and all....

The night before , we read the Scripture over. It's probably one of the most difficult of Scriptures to read aloud, as it is so very repetitive...Ecclesiastes 3:1-14...."There is a time for everything under heaven....."etc. If not read properly, and with the correct tone of voice, the audience would be lost and bored after the first few verses.

The funeral began. Pastor Randall led in the first hymn "O Master, Let me Walk with Thee", a beautiful, moving hymn of faith and service. By the time we had finished the hymn, she was weeping. Immediately, Pastor Randall asked her to come and read Scripture. She looked straight ahead and said "Grammy, I can't." I touched her arm, looked at her in the eye and said gently, "Yes.....you can"........

She promptly got out of her pew, walked to the podium, and with all the composure of an accomplished, mature young woman, read those very difficult verses, with warmth, meaning and genuine love and not a tear was shed while she spoke.

I asked God to allow His Spirit to do what needed doing for her to complete the task.

God was faithful in helping her and I was proud of her.

These are just some of the lessons in life that come along, to allow us to get to another level in our walk with Christ. Lessons that allow us to be more confident in what God can do through us....not what we can do for ourselves and in ourselves, but what HE can do through US.

It's times like that, that I think back on when she was a baby.....and asking God to allow her to be a disciple of His, one who would be faithful and trustworthy and good. He has answered my prayers.

So, today I thank God for this dear granddaughter, Brittney Elizabeth....the young woman who calls me "Grammy", the young woman whom I love so much. May God bless her with every good thing.....always.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Amen!

Sharon Kent said...

I knew you wouldn't mind me bragging just a little. You have done a most admirable job with the girl, I must say! Thank you....

Love,
Mom

Linea said...

O Man! Her learners license??

How fast the years pass. And what a beautiful accomplished young woman she has become.