Tuesday, February 10, 2009

'da Luuuuuv Week.....Part II

OK Here's the next part to the love section of I Corinthians 13.

It says this about love:
"Love doesn't want what it doesn't have. Love doesn't strut, doesn't have a swelled head"...

Looks like love is content with what it DOES have. It's not always wanting (and whining and complaining about what it doesn't have). It's appears love is happy to just be. There's a commandment too, one of the TEN, that goes along with this I think, and it talks about not "coveting" or wanting something that doesn't belong to me. "“You must not covet your neighbor’s wife. You must not covet your neighbor’s house or land, male or female servant, ox or donkey, or anything else that belongs to your neighbor."

Ya. But how many times have I wanted things I don't have. How many times I've seen something that someone else has acquired and I end up saying things like, "Oh ya, I'd sure like to have one of those.......(fill in the blank)". I haven't seen my neighbor carting around an ox or a donkey, but my, oh my, I've seen neighbors sitting behind the wheel of a fancy vehicle, with a lovely big fishing boat with a honkin' 200 hp motor trailing along behind. Or a co-worker gets a new computer with a super big screen and I'm thinkin' to myself, "I'd be able to really type up a storm and see so much better with a computer and monitor like that one!!"

See what I mean. There are times when I'm just not a satisfied customer. I want. I wish. I desire. I need. I dream.........

And the "strutting" and "swelled head" business? There are times when I become a peacock. I get up and get my groove on. I act like I own the world. I get my chin(s) up, my shoulders back, my chest puffs up (although all that is good for posture), and I believe I am the answer to everyone's problems, or that I have it all together, or I am so much better than the person(s) standing next to me. What a pile of "crap"...which I keep trying to make higher. Yes, my head can swell up almost to the point of me toppling over because of the huge amounts of pride, and arrogance and conceit that has overtaken my thick skull.

What on earth am I attempting to do here????? Why do I feel I need to appear so important to others. Why do many of my actions take on one underlying desire.....for me to look better than I really am! NO. NO. NO. THAT is NOT what Love is.

Love is simply happy with the way it is. Love, God's love, keeps my head from exploding. His love keeps me content with who I am....it keeps me not always looking to others for approval, for acceptance. That love keeps me grounded, and content, knowing that my desire for approval needs to be from my Creator and no one else.

I'm going to bed soon and I shall attempt to keep my eyes from wondering to that lovely grey donkey next door. I need to learn to be happy with my own ass.:-)

No comments: