Saturday, March 7, 2009

Extremes....

Waskesiu at minus 25
Waskesiu at plus 25

We live in a land of extremes, don't we? Not only temperatures fluctuate wildly from one season to another, but society does the same kind of dance.
We have extremes.
We have those who are not much in need of anything.
We also have those who are in need of everything.
Some of us are educated well past our high school diplomas, with degrees and letters behind our names that can barely fit on one typed line.
There are those of us also who for whatever reason, never managed to even get a high school diploma, let alone letters of distinction to follow us along.
There are so many varying factors that contribute to this extreme. People who have a post-secondary education already, tend to pass these values on to their children, so they in turn, will be educated and get good jobs that make a considerable amount of money which will, in turn allow them to live the "good life".
Other parents struggle to make ends meet, living from paycheck to paycheck, hardly able to pay the bills let alone save for their children's education. Some children are highly encouraged in their education while other children aren't even encouraged to get out of bed in the morning to go to school.
Today at the local Soup Kitchen I saw first hand the results of poverty and lack of education and those who have no one to encouage them in life. Whenever I go there to help serve, I feel great compassion for those folks who come to receive the little we have to offer and who are so very greatful for what little they are given.
A full stomach. To those who have little, a full stomach is a good beginning to their day. They either take advantage of what is available or there is nothing. No choice really. It's all or nothing.
Those of us who have all we need, a full stomach is always the beginning of our day....if we choose. We have a choice to eat....or not...whenever we choose and as much as we choose.
Yes, we live in a land of extremes.
May God give me eyes to see what I need to see, so I may be of more help to those who live without those things I take for granted. Help me to not look the other way, God.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I love what you said 'May God give me eyes to see what I need to see' as it is so simple but it is so brilliant at the same time.

Anonymous said...

I love what you said 'May God give me eyes to see what I need to see' as it is so simple but it is so brilliant at the same time.