Tuesday, May 19, 2009

Up and away...

Bald Eagle - summer -08 at Sandy Lake

Gull taking off from Waskesiu Lake
"We'll be landing shortly, please fasten your seat belt..."


Birds are marvelous animals. I've dreamed more than once that I could fly. Arms outstretched. Gliding over the city at sunrise. It felt so freeing and I could see up and beyond my little sphere of 5'4".


There is a web site called zaplive.tv of a Bald Eagle's nest 60 feet up with a web cam inside the nest. Just google it and it will take you to the web cam where three eaglets are learning what their life will all be about. It could become a hobby, watching those three grow up, or an obsession, I suppose. The oldest one has his feathers now, and being a windy day on the west coast, he has his wings flapping like a maniac. I think by now he knows there is something to those large apendages on either side of him, but he's not too sure yet how they're supposed to work. He's watching mom and dad very closely though, so one day, he'll get the hang of it and just take off. Hopefully, if neither of the other two get booted out of the nest before their time, they too, will learn the ropes of being a bald eagle.


It would be nice to soar like an eagle but, as the saying goes, "You can't soar like an eagle when you're surrounded by turkeys." I'm just saying........

No comments: