Thursday, October 22, 2009

Anatomy of a bird....





You've got your basic head.
And then you've got what looks like a tail.
But those feet!!!!!
Mother goose above was watching me with those soft yet piercing eyes. She stared me right down so that I backed off before she got those wings of hers beating the stuffing out of me. It wouldn't have been pretty.
The gull "tail", well, this fellow just happened to be eating something on the ground in front of me when I snapped his back side. Gulls are pretty friendly when it comes to eyeing up scraps. But his wing tips just kind of fold nicely back into a lovely pattern right over his tail feathers.
These three birds all have webbed feet but just look at them. Marvelous structures. All webbed for a fast get-away and total maneuverability.Can't imagine how many more laps Dave could swim with feet like that :)
At this point, I'd trade one good duck foot for my one gouty one!! Just don't think I'd find a duck who'd go along with that.

2 comments:

Dixie said...

Is your foot still bothering you?! Poor Sharon!

Incidentally, my Grandpa Dynna had webbed toes. Really hope that's one trait that won't find it's way down into my grandkids!! :)

Sharon Kent said...

Did your grandpa live perchance by a body of water???

Just wondering.....;)