Wednesday, December 30, 2009

Visitors on the 2nd last day of 2009...





A female Downy woodpecker, a Nuthatch and that illusive Blue Jay all came to the feeding stations at once today....and I happened to have my camera ready.
Whenever I hear the Jay screeching, I run from wherever I am in the house, grabbing the camera, turning it on while running, stopping abruptly before reaching the kitchen window so I don't scare the dang Jay away and ever-so-slowly aiming the camera in the general direction of the peanut feeder....I click. If I'm lucky, he's there.
I stood there at the open window with the camera clicking feverishly at the little Downy woodpecker though. She wasn't frightened in the least. I know it's a female because the males have the little red caps and this one had no scarlet in sight. She's a pretty little thing, isn't she? Clinging with her claws to the feeder she pecked and pecked like mad, eating the little frozen nuts within. I think I can see why they're called "Downy" too. Their feathers really do look like down....all fuzzy and warm.
The Jay flew in, grabbed a peanut and flew out within three seconds!!! I really need to get a shot of him in flight with all his blue showing. That will be a challenge...
If we have any more visitors tomorrow, I'll let you know.

No comments: