Saturday, March 12, 2011

All quiet on the western front....

I will be anxious to hear Matthew's take on the past 24 hours.  I think to him, it was a bit of an adventure and an experience that he has lived through to tell the tale.

There were many texts back and forth to him while he was stuck in his little red Cavalier, somewhere south of Winnipeg on Hwy. 75.  The snow was too heavy and the winds were sustained at 52 km/hr for quite a while (gusting to 80 km/hr), for him to be able to even see exactly where he was or which town he had passed.  Thankfully, he got stuck in the ditch, which got him off the road and unable to go any further!!!

There was one phone call from him, probably just to ease my mind, but it was good to hear his voice.  I could hear that wind howling but he had me convinced that with his warm sleeping bag, jug of water and various edibles, he would survive at least until morning!

I, along with various folks down in that area, plus his sister, were texting him at various times.  I quit around 1:30 a.m.  Woke up several times to see if he had texted at all during the night and by 6 a.m. I lay wide awake thinking all sorts of weird and wondrous thoughts....thoughts that only a mother could conjure up!  Thoughts like, maybe he's been asphyxiated in the night while he slept with the car running; maybe he ran out of gas;  what if the snow buried the car and he wouldn't be able to get out; perhaps his cell phone batteries ran out and we wouldn't be able to contact him; maybe the boogie man came in the night with his axe....you know, the regular stuff.  Is that worry....or concern??????

So by 6 a.m. I had had enough.  I texted the poor fellow, who had been sleeping in his snugly car bed.  He replied with an ever-so-polite, "I'm fine...just sleeping:)"

By 7 a.m. I was up with husband, knowing now we had to take the bull by the horns and get some action!  Husband called RCMP.  They took the info but stated they couldn't do anything until the road was opened!  And a few hours later they had plucked him out of his snow-bound encasement.  My text response to that was, "I hear you got picked up by the cops!  Does Thais know what's been going on with you?"

And on went the day.  Another text revealed he had another vehicle and was on his way yet again, same road and an hour or two later he was at the US border.  I'm trusting by now he has reached Grand Forks ND and his very special "cargo":)  Hope they stay there the night or at least don't tell me if they do try and come back to Winnipeg tonight...I need a good sleep!  It seems quiet now......aaahhhhhhhhhhhhh

Amazing what a person's son will do when he is determined to reach his goal, isn't it?

UPDATE:  They are back home in Winnipeg and all is well

No comments: