Friday, July 22, 2011

We were fortunate...

During the outbreak this week of continuous ravaging storms up at Waskesiu, we were blessedly spared from any damage at all.  The past three weeks had us snuggled between some awesome coniferous trees and they protected us front, back and either side from the damaging hail stones.  It appeared that our truck was sitting right out in the open behind the trailer and our car at the front of the trailer, also in the open.  It was like we were hedged in on all sides by some "invisible force":)  People on either side, across from and behind us were hit hard with a lot of damage.  We just kind of stood there in our Patio Room, hail stones thudding hard against the roof and the ground all around us.  The rain was falling in torrents and rivers down the road.  Lightening crackled and the thunder roared and shook our Cribbage game!  We weren't sure if we should be hitting the deck, climbing a tree or sitting inside the trailer with a bowl of popcorn!  We simply stood in awe.  The wind began to really get up as the stones were flung mercilessly hither and yon, so husband decided that perhaps we should roll the flaps down in the Patio Room as the rain was beginning to splash in...but he had to go outside to unclasp the flaps for that to happen.  Out he went, umbrella in hand, hail stones pelting down around him and he unclasped all the flaps as they rolled down one by one.....to keep us from being soaked inside the Patio Room. One wacked him on the head as he unfolded the umbrella!  I think that was the fiercest storm I'd ever been in!  Brittney, during all of this, texted us to make sure we were all right, as she was at the ice cream shop working and watching it from her vantage point. 

Then, about two hours later, just after we picked up Brittney from work, it started in again.  First came the most amazing sound...like a huge roar.  I've never heard anything like it. I don't like wind!  Figured it may be a tornado or some such thing.  The trees swayed and branches fell along with a kazillion poplar leaves.  The trailer shook and the sound just kept on getting louder.  At my request, we decided on an evacuation plan.  In the event of something more than we could handle, head for the public shower house (was Brittney's suggestion).  Good idea, except to get there we would have to run amongst trees and over stumps and piles of water about four trailer sites up.  I figured we should just sit on the bed and we may make it to Oz!  When neither plan came to fruition, we just plunked ourselves down on the couch (Ken went to bed) and watched the spectacular light show.  Lightening was continuous and it seemed like day light for several seconds at a time for well over an hour.  The thunder was shaking us up a bit and the wind and driving rain just kept on coming at us.  During this time though, the power went out.  Not good!  Ken was unable to use his breathing machine so didn't get much sleep at all.

When I think back on it now, I should have known something this wild would take place.  The humidity was extremely high as was the temperature.  Seems like humidity just gets things really happening when it comes to storms.  The barometric pressure was steadily falling too, which is another sure indicator.

I normally really love storms.  I'm normally inside a solid structure when storms occur.  This time there was a vulnerability about it all...no real safe place to go.  We were at one with the elements and the power of God!  It was an opportunity to really appreciate nature and to fear and respect it, the way it deserves!

Here are a few pictures of  "the days of the storms".


 One evening the sun peeked through...enticing us.
 The beginnings of an eventful evening.
 There really are some "die hard" beach lovers!
 Folks were finally clearing the beach when they viewed what was heading their way.
 These hung precariously over the Heart Lakes fish cabin.
 "Strike"!!!
 Folks coming in from fishing....just in time!
 These weird clouds are telling us that some wacky weather is on the horizon.
 Lots of upward action in the clouds as the storm approached.
 A typical storm "front".  Beautiful!

 Damage everywhere!

 Here it comes!
 The rain was coming down so fast, it was difficult to take a shot without
my camera lens getting wet.
 Hail was piled everywhere and the wind was so cold you could
easily have imagined this to be snow!

 I picked these up nearly an hour after they hit the ground...outside our trailer.

A few hours after the storm and the water is still running hard.

And after all those storms, there was a lovely bright day to greet us.  We headed for the beach...last day of good weather before more rain the next day.....the second last day of vacation.


There sat the beautiful lake...all sweet and lovely and warm....and waiting for an Ecoli report from Regina after an effluent spill hit the main beach during the storm of the previous day.  No swimming!  So we headed for Birch Bay for a swim as it was awfully hot!  The cars were lined up on the highway for a half mile or more as folks flocked to get in a swim in a safe area and to cool off.  We ended up not going for that swim as we needed to pick up Brittney from work at 5.  But we did manage to see this.  I got out and stood about ten feet from him and he posed while eating.


There he stood, a regal six point Royal bull elk in all his splendor.  I've never been that close to a bull elk before and most likely won't again.  He was a sight!

On the way home from the swimming attempt, we stopped at the Waskesiu River to get a shot of this fellow.  He was there at his fishing hole, as he was each and every day around the same time.  I tried to sneak up on him a bit...hahahahaha  I did manage to capture him well though, I think.  I've been closer than this to a Blue Heron...in the Crean Lake channel, but we were in a boat then and you can get pretty close to them that way.  Walking towards them though, gets them pretty skittish.

And then he simply flew away....and landed those long legs on a towering pine tree.  Very cool to watch him maneuver himself onto one of those branches!

We then came home and had a Big Olaf waffle cone!!!

The next day was one wild day.  Wind must have been 50 - 60 kms., raining and very cool.  But there is nothing more determined than a person with a camera who needs to take impossible shots!  So, while husband stayed in the vehicle, I headed for the breakwater, camera tucked under my hoodie, hood up, pants rolled up to the knee, flip flops splashing in the torrents of rain and the wind blowing it straight into my face...but my camera wasn't wet!  Arriving at the breakwater I find another person backed into a little alcove of pine trees, out of the wind and rain.  She had one whopper of a camera, telephoto lens up to her ying yang, all black and beautiful.  I sauntered up beside her and asked if I could keep her company in her little alcove as I wanted to get some wave action shots.  I pulled out my little shiny Olympus, as brave and sure of myself as I could get and let my camera do the talking.  She left while I continued to click.  I've never seen anything like this at Waskesiu....ever!  Here are some shots.












I could have stayed there for so much longer but my lens and camera were beginning to get wet and the rain was soaking through my clothes.  I wanted to get closer but knew the wind would cover my camera with spray so I used my "better" judgment!?  Looks a lot like the ocean!

But our days of vacation were not ALL cloudy, windy, stormy and rainy!

Perhaps tomorrow I'll show you some sunny day pictures with the family and all.

Heading off to do a bit more ironing.  The pile is slowly going down....and then to bed.  I'm still catching up on sleep!

'Nite all.....:)

2 comments:

Matthew said...

Those are amazing pictures! Thanks:) I especially liked the first one with the sun peeking through, the elk and then the last ones with the huge waves.

Sharon Kent said...

I think you would have loved being down by the breakwater too. It was so intense....and fun!

I still like the heron:)