Friday, November 11, 2011

11/11/11...

Eleventh day of the eleventh month of the eleventh year.

Don't know that those numbers indicate anything of great significance or value but I suppose if one were the least bit superstitious, one might go out and buy a lottery ticket or something like that.

We didn't.

We did however, chat about things today, things that are of value and encouragement to one another.

We spoke too, of how sometimes things we say can be misconstrued by another just because we present our thoughts in a certain way.  Nothing really can be done about that, other than attempting to correct the person in what your intentions were....but if a person is thinking in a certain way about what you said, the thought pattern is probably there and won't be broken no matter what you say.  I know this all sounds vague and confusing but it is difficult being misunderstood.  Misunderstandings can cause hard feelings and that is not my intention.

I don't know.  I guess it is my fault for not being more direct and clear.  One part of our church Behavioral Covenant is to communicate clearly and completely.  Perhaps I wasn't as clear as I could have been and perhaps I expanded on my thoughts more than I should have.

I don't express my thoughts all that often to folks but when I do, I feel they are important enough to allow myself to be vulnerable with those thoughts and to actually verbalize them. And so I shall live with the consequences of that.

Oh well...blah....blah....blah....I'm just going on about nothing.

On a different note, I remembered my dad specifically today...his willingness to die for a cause that he thought was important.  He didn't die....then....but he was willing.  My dad was a very good and gentle man.  War was not who or what he was about but he was amongst the millions who gave up a part of themselves so we could live without fear.  I think that is pretty significant.

Sleep well...snow is approaching on this night of elevens.......

2 comments:

Matthew said...

"I don't express my thoughts all that often to folks but when I do, I feel they are important enough to allow myself to be vulnerable with those thoughts and to actually verbalize them."

They probably are! But they also might not be. How people respond to us may be an indication of whether we spoke appropriately or not but it also might be an indicator of where the other person is at. Lots of people didn't like what Jesus had to say...he said things anyway.

I think humility is the key, and an unconditional willingness to take responsibility for our actions, to face whatever arises. If we're interested in that, it won't matter to us whether we acted 'perfectly' because our intention will be to act appropriately, the best way we know how, and we will begin to see our mistakes and successes as equal opportunities to move forward.

Sharon Kent said...

Yes, that makes sense, Matt. There are times in life when you feel something is so important and right in your eyes that you feel you need to share it with others...and that was one of those times. I can live with the consequences:)