Sunday, November 20, 2011

The 'Busy' Family.....

Busyness can be our enemy I think.  We want to do good things.  We think about those good things.  We go over them in our minds....and we agree with ourselves that, yes, they are good things to pursue. 

And then one little thing after another comes and knocks on our door.  These little things need to be addressed and so we invite them in.  We sit with them and chat and give them our time.  Then the next little thing comes and we do the same thing....again and again.  Those little things didn't give us their name when they knocked but we find out later that all those little things names were the same...Mr. and Mrs. Busy, their family and kinfolk.

We didn't want to be impolite so we gave them our attention.  After all, they had great stories to tell as to how their wants were important.  And I sat with them, nodding my head in agreement. Yes, I can do that.  Yes, I know how important and vital that issue is.  Yes, we can help you out with that....and on and on and on....

When we collapse into our beds at night we realize how much time has actually been given to the Busy family.  When I realize just how much time has been afforded them, I see them for what some of them they really are.  They have become my enemy.  They really don't have my good at heart.  They simply want my time...time that can never be given back. 

I need to become a bit more savvy and discerning when it comes to listening to all of them.  As I say, they all are worthy of my time but I cannot possibly do all of their bidding or nothing will be accomplished.  I must learn to choose wisely to which ones of the family I will offer my time.

They all clamor for it but I shall put my foot down.

At the end of our book study tonight we spoke of taking time out for God.  It seems that for many of us, that Busy family even horns in on the moments we would like to reserve for God.  We read the 23rd Psalm a few times too which speaks of God "making" us lie down in green pastures.  We really don't seem to be able to do that for ourselves with any great ease.  We try.  We fail.  God knows we need to lie down.  We just let that Busy Family have their way with us but God says that he makes us lie down in green pastures.  He knows what we need and why because he knows we allow that Busy Family in every time they knock!  So, to help us with that he makes us rest.  I like that thought!

I really hope He makes YOU rest this night. And in these days of pre-Christmas everything, be on the watch for that little knock on your door.....maybe you shouldn't answer it........

2 comments:

Matthew said...

That's a neat analogy. I like what you're saying, that we can't possibly do everything so we need to cultivate the discernment of what is most important, what we really want to do.

What do you think it means that God 'makes us lie down'?

Sharon Kent said...

God knows what is best for us and so when we need a rest he brings us to a place where we can do just that. We don't always take him up on the offer, but it seems like it's available. I don't think he forces us to rest either, but he may lead us to a place where we have no choice but to take advantage of it.

What do you think it means?