Friday, August 10, 2012

Delay of game....

Even though we're off in a world of our own, off the beaten track so to speak, we still hear bits and pieces of the Olympics and more recently, the Riders vs Eskimos game, which happens to be displayed on TSN in the Patio Cafe as I type!

I heard about the soccer game between the US and Canada and how one little delay by one of the players caused no end of trouble....for her, her team and the outcome of the entire game...costing them a Gold medal.  I also heard of other circumstances which may have been a factor but I choose not to go there.

As the football game progresses I'm wondering if something like this could happen where a team member delays the game unduly  and causes a penalty to be given to his team.  That would be a real sorry situation.  The outcome could be drastic because of one little delay of game....and that also would embarrass our friends who are attending this particular game in Edmonton!!!

There are other situations in life too, where we have the opportunity of making a bad judgement call.  I was thinking of our granddaughter, Brittney, who will be leaving for school in Montreal in a little over two weeks. 

I want to delay the game...on purpose.....I want to delay the game of life.

What would happen if I fussed and carried on about her leaving home, about how much I will miss her and that I don't think life will be much fun without her!  I want to delay her departure.....sooooo much:(

But a lesson of the Olympics points to the fact that that decision could in fact, have a very disastrous outcome.  When we put our own feelings ahead of "the team" we put ourselves in precarious positions.

So, do I really want to "delay the game" for her.

Of course NOT!!!

I shall put aside my own selfish feelings and get really excited for her in her move and the opportunity she has to learn and mature and become a better person.

Next time I want to delay the game, I shall think better of it!

No comments: