Monday, October 8, 2012

Tales of a vacation...

Thinking back to our summer Waskesiu vacation...

It was a night like many others at the lake.  Husband and I went to bed early after a busy day of fishing in the heat.  So by 10 PM Ken was sawing logs and I lay awake for a bit thinking about Brittney and wondering when she would drive up to the trailer from her 8 hour shift at the ice cream shop where she worked.

I was just about to doze off into dreamland when I heard her little car drive up and park at the end of the trailer.  I waited.  Sometimes we would chat when she came in.  I waited and waited and waited for her to open the door to the trailer.

As an aside, it was still July so the shades of nightfall still lingered long after 10 PM.  One could make out outlines of things but nothing really was clear and distinct.

After what seemed like a half hour or so, I still hadn't heard her enter the trailer.  I hadn't heard the car door close either.  Just when I was about to get up and see what was keeping her in the car, the door of the car slammed shut almost the same time as the trailer door opened!  I figured she had been texting or phoning one of her friends after she drove up to the trailer...that's what I figured had happened, so I simply drifted off to sleep, knowing she was home safe and sound.

Next morning.

Conversation happened around the breakfast table.  I was wondering why she was so long in the car the night before.

Turns out, when she drove up to the trailer and was about to open the car door, there in the bushes stood a huge black bear.  She was terrified so she simply stayed put until it decided to take off.  But she wasn't about to chance the dash to the trailer...just in case.

She waited...and waited....and waited.  That bear wasn't going anywhere.  She figured she would quietly open the door to the car, slam and run to the trailer...which she did!  Heart racing...she was safe at last.  And I hadn't even known she was in distress, battling woman against beast.

The morning also brought about a type of clarity for her from the night before.


The tree stump, in shades of darkness, made for one very large and scary bear.  I think I would have made the same judgement call...

We laughed!

I still laugh.

Such a great resemblance!  We did wonder, however, how a bear could stand motionless on it's hind legs for such a long period of time:)

No comments: