Monday, May 13, 2013

My man...

Friday last, husband had this eyelid surgery.  As a result of his Bell's Palsy on both sides of his face over the past few years, his eyelids have drooped considerably and so the ophthalmologist suggested an "eye lift":)

Surgery went well.  In at 10...out by noon!

But, as in any live tissue that has been cut and sutured, there is swelling and bruising....a GREAT DEAL of swelling and bruising.

The first night saw us in the ER.  He blew his nose...hard.  POP!  A clot gave way on his right eye suture and out poured the blood.  So, I'm in the shower, you know, the regular evening routine around 10:30 and I hear,  "I think we need to go to the hospital"...WE need to go to the hospital.  At first I'm thinking heart attack or some other wretched thing.  Fling back the shower curtain to find husband sitting on the toilet seat with many kleenexes all bundled up and pressed to his eye.  Ahhhhh...that's it.

Well, there's blood on the floor, blood on the counter, blood inside the toilet, blood in the bedroom....

I asked what happened..."I blew my nose", says he.

"Blew your nose????  Hard, I imagine!!!!!", says I.  I figured there would be plenty of time for a stern lecture once we got the bleeding stopped at the hospital.

Jumping from the shower, I flung on something, not sure what, grabbed keys, grabbed husband and out the door we ran.  I kept up with a few short, curt commands on our way to the hospital....don't take the kleenex from your eye....keep pressure on it.....don't blow your nose, again.....try to keep your head back, not forward....blah...blah....blah....I think he was getting the message!  Poor fellow.....:(

Arrive at ER.  Only two people ahead of us!!!  That was nothing short of a miracle...a Friday night...in P.A.  I had visions of sitting in a long line of inebriated/drugged folks, all taking their turn for a stomach pump. Nope.  Just some grandparents bringing in their teenage grandson with a cracked ankle from skate boarding and another fellow with some kind of ailment.  But the shape husband appeared to be in, he would have fit in just fine with the usual Friday night crowd, we figured.

Then it was Ken's turn to see the doctor.  In he went...without me.  Male nurse asked him what happened, as he sat back a bit, looking at this 285 lb. fierce looking fellow with two black and swollen eyes with blood dripping down.  Ken explained he had undergone eye surgery.  Nurse asked if they did the surgery because he had been in a fight!  Oh my.  Ken said, no, that he had just had eyelid surgery.  Perhaps it was a good thing I hadn't gone in with him or that nurse would first have thought he had a very mean momma for a wife!

All my life I have wanted to dish out that old saying to someone and really mean it... you know the one...."You should see the other guy!!!"  But alas, I wasn't there with husband to express those words.  It would have been great fun, I think!

He was determined yesterday to take us girls out for a Mother's Day brunch...and he did.  I suggested that since it was a food related event and all, that perhaps sun glasses while he ate would make sense.  We wanted to be sensitive to the customers, after all!  Yesterday was quite gruesome actually.  He could have been made out to be a major car crash victim with eyes like the ones he displayed.

Today his eyes have been getting progressively better by the hour.  He has faithfully had ice on both eyes every hour or so.  I have "hydrogen peroxide-ed" both eyes, complete with antibiotic ointment over the sutures every 4 hours.  They are beginning to heal up nicely...now there are black pools of bruising under each eye and in the corners but his eyes are becoming much more visible.  Yay!!!

He decided to continue to wear his sunglasses if we went anywhere in order to not scare children.  He stayed home from church for that very reason:)

But it wouldn't be me, if I didn't have a picture, right?  Another saying, "a picture is worth a thousand words" can be said for this one:


This was taken yesterday.

Today there is much less swelling...and just a blacker shade of black:(

My poor dear.....I pray God will heal sooner than later!  But he hasn't complained one bit, nor has he blown his nose too hard!!!

Perhaps this is one of the "worse" days...as in "for better or for worse".....

No comments: