Thursday, September 6, 2007

Do I sleep or do I not sleep....that's the question.

Well, of course I would opt to sleep. Who wouldn't want to. So, in that sense of the question above, yes, most of us would take the opportunity to sleep..........especially at night.

But taking that question literally, do you actually "get to sleep"...... not "get to sleep" if you get the meaning there.........well, that was the question the doctor asked husband today for his sleep apnea appointment in Saskatoon. So I was there to answer the questions. I mean, who knows if they stop breathing when they're asleep, right? You need someone who is right there beside you in the room to take notes and do the counting, right?

Pick me.

For a long time now, if ever I do wake at night, perhaps to take a bathroom break, I end up counting. Not sheep either.

First, I count how many breaths husband takes compared to my breaths. He takes three and a half while I take two.

Then when his breaths become inaudible, in other words, when he stops breathing, I begin to count...1...2...3...4...5..6...7...8.....I move the sheets and he begins breathing again.

Breaths become inaudible I begin to count again...1 ...2...3...4...5...6...7...8...9...10.....I pull at his pillow and he begins breathing again.

Breaths become inaudible I begin to count AGAIN...1...2...3...4...5...6...7...8...9....I give him a little nudge and he begins breathing again.

Good thing I'm not a light sleeper. I have gotten so that I can get back to sleep in the midst of husband not breathing. I'm not a hardened old woman who doesn't care about her man. Oh, no.

But on many an occasion I have asked the Lord to do the breathing for him 'cause I need my sleep too. Hope I'm not being selfish in that request.

Truth be known, I'm kind of used to the routine but poor husband is just plain tuckered out by morning..............and that's mostly from not breathing..............heh heh heh

Doctor says there's a machine that will help him with his breathing at night.

Not sure if I can get used to a machine in bed with us. I'll keep y'all posted.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hello! Why have I not known about this blog of yours? I shall check it out and add it to my Bloglines feed. Can't wait to hear what you've got to say... just as long as you don't do as many "bedroom"-related posts as I do. ;)

Sharon Kent said...

Well, as far as I'm concerned "bedroom posts" are where it's at, Dixie girl.

Seems like one always gets some kind of comment when the "B" word is used.

I'll try and add a bit of fuel to the blogdom fire.

Oh, and I welcome you here.