Thursday, November 29, 2007

Excitement.

Yes, excitement is building. This weekend, Advent is upon us.

As a church family, we always begin this Christmas season with a Sunday evening program and this year will be no exception.

It is good to do this. It is good to see people come forward and use their talents. It's what God would expect us to do, since it was he who favored us with those gifts.

Our gifts and talents change too as we progress through life.

When we are young, our voices are stronger, our lungs more resilient to holding onto the breath within them.

But when we get older our voices aren't quite the same and we run out of breath half way through a line we're trying to sing, but......our enthusiasm is still the same.

And when we get even older than that well, I guess it's just time to sit and enjoy the show! There is a season for everything under heaven.

These Advent programs are not just talent shows. No. They are much, much more than that. They are times that allow children to make positive and good memories for themselves. They will remember these times..........when they stood in front of the whole congregation and sang a solo (but were so nervous their legs wouldn't stop shaking) or were in a skit (and the backdrop fell to the ground) or told a story (forgot their lines half way through) or even went to the front to sing in a group (and tripped over the mic cords). All memorable. But better than that, we offered our gifts to the living God, the best way we knew how. It was a gift offered to the entire church too!

So, I'm getting pumped for this Sunday. Still much organizing to be done but it all seems to fall into place just before the program starts at 6 p.m.

Hope to see you there. There will be much excitement.

Oh, and there's still time for you to offer YOUR gift to the cause. Don't be shy. Give me a call.

If you make a mistake when you're on stage, we won't laugh. We may point fingers.........but we definitely won't laugh.

4 comments:

Shauna Bennett said...

Aww, I really want to come to this. Very cool idea. I even considered driving all the way just to join you guys. If only...

What's your talent Sharon??? Do share!

Anonymous said...

While not your only talent, I would say that "being really excited about Christmas" is certainly one of your most notable ones. That could be a show in and of itself. Yeah?

Sharon Kent said...

As Matt said, Christmas is my trademark. I don't go around with jingly balls and things hanging all over me or a red hat atop my head but it's mostly inside. Although, I do have my "____ days 'til Xmas" sign up at work in late September when everyone says "aren't you rushing the season just a bit". I say you can never rush the season. You just live it all year through!

It would be fun to have you guys here for this Advent program too!! Shauna, you and I could sing "Rockin' Around the Christmas Tree" with Matt rockin' his Gee-tar. Although, I do think it's supposed to have an Advent theme.....oh well, we could still rock....a little bit ;-)

Shauna Bennett said...

Haha, that would be pretty funny. Although you'd have a real fun time getting me up there. I like that this "season" is your talent. :)