Tuesday, February 12, 2008

Math

Well, hit me over the head with at least a dozen two by fours, hang me by my winter-peeling heals, make me leap out of a plane at 20,000 feet or sit me down on a bucket of ice cubes wearing only a smile..........yep, I'll take any of those before I will enjoy the thought of doing math of any kind. That would include counting money, invoicing, budgeting, piggy banks, big banks....well, you get my point.....financing, in general.

I actually have good friends who live their lives doing these kinds of things. Chartered accountants, bookkeepers, and ones who just can't wait to figure out their income tax. I simply can't understand it.....the financing, nor the people who do it. To me, it's just one enormous, horrendous thought process from another world.

I always just managed to pass math when in school.....with a huge amount of extra homework, plus a very good teacher who would spend hours after class trying various methods to allow those brain waves to comprehend the marvelous world of numbers. He persevered. I managed to actually pass.

I can memorize numbers. No problem there. I remember phone numbers from 50 years ago, that my friends had. I know my social insurance number, bank account number, health card number, address numbers, credit card number - not many folks memorize those, I'll bet!!! :-( but try and get me to understand what to do with numbers and I crumble like a Mutant Ninja Turtle on his back.

So, what am I doing now at work???? Ya. MATH. Figuring out invoicing....keeping track of budget kinds of things.....using a credit card for purchasing........what the heck is this world coming to anyway? I feel like giving up. It just doesn't go with my grain, but what do you do when it's kind of set upon you. I let people know of my inadequacies in this area of financing. I know what I can and cannot do, believe me. And yet, I spend most of my days, doing stuff with money and numbers. Heck, I even look after all the "Women's Shelter"canteen money and the 'Purified Water" money. It's good that people trust me at least. I would hate to have that responsibility and have people figure I'm some kind of cheap crook. That would definitely do me in.

Yet, I am reminded once again, that I am incapable of doing anything in my own strength. I will offer these inadequacies to the One who has created me. He has said to ask for wisdom, and so, I am asking.

Perhaps he can find a way to get those brain patterns sprinting in the right direction. I am trusting at least that he will, and it will all just fall into place.

May the Lord have mercy on us all...............

No comments: