Sunday, May 4, 2008

Our son's birthday.....

It's Todd's 32nd birthday today. He's the husband of our daughter and the father of our grand-daughter. Ya, I know he's a son-in-law, but we love him like our own son. He is precious to us and we pray that God would bless his life with everything wonderful and good and beautiful and that God would also watch over him and care for him as he works that underground diamond mine a trillion miles away from home. He does well at providing for his family and we are so very proud of him and thank God for him.

Happy Birthday Todd. Our lives have become better because you are a part of them.

Our son, Matt, is away today tree planting in southeastern Manitoba to make some money to live, and go to school in the fall. That's a difficult job that tree planting stuff. Through snow, sleet, hail, rain, wind, wild animals and the dreaded, giant, blood-sucking M.M.............(Manitoba Mosquito). May the Lord have mercy on him!

Son's lady friend is leaving this week too,to tree plant in B.C. Oh my. She's one brave woman! God, would you take care of Kim and make sure the bears don't infringe on her territory (or maybe that's the other way around)......anyway, keep her safe God.

Daughter begins her summer Spanish class tomorrow too. It will be good to rid herself of this one language requirement. May the Lord give her much knowledge, wisdom and a tongue to speak those new sounds into a good grade.

A great way to end the weekend. With the "Benson Mini-Reunion" the 18 of us gathered once again to eat and drink and laugh and chat and reminisce. The afternoon found us at the cemetery, looking at my parents and my brother's grave site as well as Aunt Connie's husbands grave. Then we all went and visited her at the hospital. Each of us spoke tenderly to her and she in turn asked everyone about their children and grand children and about how good it was for her to see each of them again. It's been an emotional weekend and another day yet to come. That will be good too. As I said before, I love my cousins. The fellows all remind me so much of my dad.....especially their laughter.

We are very fortunate people in this "Benson" family of mine. Not many families love so deeply and with such abandon. One thing we did find though, as much as we love each other, that not many of us enjoyed talking on the phone......me included. I would rather write a letter or email or talk in person. Funny eh? Ya, I thought so too!

So, I will go to bed this night being so grateful for a son(in-law) whose birthday was today, for a daughter who, tomorrow will go to school again; for a beautiful granddaughter who means the world to me; for a son who will be living on the edge of hell's half acre for the summer; for the girlfriend who is leaving to also plant trees somewhere in B.C.; for my cousins and their spouses and especially for my dear Aunt Connie, who must stay hospitalized while we all have fun.....may God grant her peace this night.

I'm thankful too, for all of YOU..........my friends at work, at church, wherever you find yourself this night.....I think one of you is at the lake (EC)!!!! I am one very fortunate person indeed.

1 comment:

Linea said...

Glad you had a good reunion.

I share your quirk about the phone.