Monday, January 26, 2009

On Golden Pond....







(click on pics)

I watched some of that movie after supper tonight. It reminded me again of our family times at the lake, of the moments of quiet and peace, of the hope of catching "the big one", of boat rides and conversations, and times too, of mis/non-communication, where we think one person is thinking one thing, but they're thinking something totally different.


I think I'm a poor communicator. There are times when I want to say something but I find that the words just don't come. I think more than I speak and that can be bad. A course in school for this kind of thing would be really helpful. "How to Say What you Think and not Sound Like a Tool".


On Golden Pond is a story of a family, wanting to love, wanting inwardly to say the things their hearts are feeling but find it difficult. It shows how something as simple as "fishing" can pave the way for meaningful conversation and how one little measure of encouragement can turn the tide of a relationship.


I love that movie. I cry every time I watch it. It's so human and I think not unlike my own family....perhaps even your family at times. We try to be vulnerable and open but there are times when we don't succeed. Our hearts stay closed.


I think when we are faced with our own mortality, we really don't have much to lose. We bumble our way through our "I love you's" or our "I'm sorry's" and even our "Please forgive me's" because at the end of it all, it is important that those thoughts and feelings be expressed...before it's too late.


That movie reminded me of all of that.........relationship. What life is all about.



No comments: