Thursday, March 26, 2009

The cross...



It is the season of Lent and the cross looms before me, reminding me of the price One Man paid for me to be made whole....again.
Jesus....the Christ, Son of God, Savior, Redeemer, Forgiver of Sins....Man of Sorrows.
I was thinking about the cross and I began singing this well-loved hymn:
"When I survey the wondrous cross on which the Prince of glory died,
my richest gain I count but loss, and pour contempt on all my pride.
Forbid it, Lord, that I should boast, save in the death of Christ, my God,
all the vain things that charm me most, I sacrifice them to his blood.
See, from his head, his hands, his feet, sorrow and love flow mingled down.
Did e'er such love and sorrow meet, or thorns compose so rich a crown?
Were the whole realm of nature mine, that were an off'ring far too small;
love so amazing, so divine, demands my soul, my life, my all."
Words: Isaac Watts, 1674-1748
Music arranged by Lowell Mason, 1792-1872
An old hymn....I'm sure it means as much to me today as it did to Mr. Watts as he penned the words, back in the 17th century.
I think he chose the word "survey" very well when wrote it in the first line. Survey takes into account not only the "seeing" of one particular thing, but everything around it too. It means many things like examination, scrutiny, assessment, appraisal and review. There is so much more to the cross than two planks nailed together to kill an innocent Man. It carries with it the story of God, the story of love and sacrifice and it also offers each of us great things that we don't deserve....like wholeness, and peace and an ability to look at ourselves in the mirror and say that we are okay, just the way we are.
So, I'll be thinking more on the cross in the days ahead and try not to run ahead to the joy of Easter. There is just too much sober thinking to be done first. It "demands my soul, my life, my all."

No comments: