Sunday, March 20, 2011

Knock...knock....

Who's there?

Eskimo Christian Italian.

Eskimo Christian Italian who?

Eskimo Christian Italian no lies.

I thought that was pretty funny.  I read it somewhere.

Today as we listened once again to some words Jesus said to the crowd sitting around him on the hillside, there were some things we heard like....."ask, and it will be given to you, seek and you will find, knock, and the door will be opened to you"....

When Pastor Stacia began preaching on this from Matthew chapter 7, my thoughts (so easily distracted!!) went to the proverbial 'Knock..Knock' jokes.  I know they shouldn't have but for a few brief moments I was trying hard to come up with a knock-knock joke of my very own.  Alas, I could not.

So, on went the sermon about if your son asks for a loaf of bread, would you give him a stone instead...or if he asks for some fish, would you instead give him a snake?  So, if we, as parents, who are not super great people for one reason or another, would give the good things to our children....how much more will God give good gifts to those who ask him.  Do to others what you would have them do to you.

Ask God for things.  He knows what we need....or don't need. 

Yes.  Ask.  Just ask.

Our kids ask us for stuff.  We give them what they need...out of love for them.  Sometimes we even withhold things they ask for because in our wisdom, we know it is not best for them.  Same goes for God.  He knows what is best for us.

Seek God out.  In doing that, you will find Him if you seek him with your heart.  Probably don't go looking for a guy who you think that God looks like.  If you find a fellow walking down the street with blazing eyes, a long, woolly, white beard, an enormous star-filled crown on his head and a white robe, I wouldn't be too convinced it was God.  I think seeking with our heart is quite different from seeking with our eyes.  Seeking with our heart is a spirit kind of thing....an intangible....

Knock on the door.  That takes action on our part, I think.  If we want a door to open, we don't just stand there looking at it like a sap.  We knock.  We take the initiative to get that door opened.  That is what God desires of us, too....to step up to the plate, as it were, to instigate a relationship with him.  He will not force that relationship.  We must make that conscious choice to knock on that door....and he will answer.

Good stuff.  I don't think we even realize how much 'good stuff 'is waiting for us when we take the first step of beginning a relationship with God....no idea!  I think it's worth a try....God has not failed me yet!!!

In the remains of this day, here is the view that greeted me from the spare room....:)
 
Spring is here....I've been asking...........

2 comments:

matt said...

"Knock on the door. That takes action on our part, I think. If we want a door to open, we don't just stand there looking at it like a sap. We knock. We take the initiative to get that door opened."

The door is rarely, if ever, going to open by itself.

A beautiful observation I heard last night was that it is not in our beliefs that we discover God or the Divine but through our actions, our practice. We knock on the door by cultivating a life of aware and compassionate action. Simply asking for the door to open doesn't seem to be enough.

Sharon Kent said...

Good thoughts...