Thursday, March 31, 2011

Look ma...no crutches???

The surgeon in Saskatoon today said no surgery. What he says goes.

The surgeon also said "You did a real number on that knee, didn't you!!!"

He pulled, poked, prodded, yanked and pressed into that knee deeply. That wasn't awfully bad.....until....

....until the intern tried the same thing. Now that fellow needs more practice. If I didn't have bruise areas when I went in, I must certainly have them now!!!

So the surgeon reiterated what my doctor and Travis the Terror told me at physio. One major tear on the inside muscle away from the tendon, a badly bruised ACL and a hematoma above the knee cap which is causing the continuation of the swelling on the knee. The bursa above the knee cap are also involved in this mess as they are inflamed and naturally very sore. He said a lot more about that but I didn't catch it all.

At any rate, I'll ask Travis the Terror. He'll explain it all in language that I can understand.

I came away knowing that all my pain was not in my head, as I had, at one point thought may be happening and that what I had experienced was traumatic and very damaging AND that the knee is one of the most intricate, if not THE most intricate part of the body.

And the proverbial question continues to haunt me: Why on earth did I land on that part of my body!!???? There are so many other "larger" areas that wouldn't have even felt the fall...many, many other areas. I think if I had even fallen on my head, the damage wouldn't have been so long-lasting...a probable bump and a short black-out and I would have been good to go.

At the end of the session surgeon also said: "No work for another month...perhaps two."

I wasn't prepared for that. That news set me back.

But if I want to get this knee in shape, I will have a great deal of hard work ahead of me.

Surgeon then said that I will first need to learn to walk again without any crutch...and then to gain my confidence back in walking normally, not to mention the strengthening exercises that will be happening to allow all of that to happen.

I think I'd rather be working at work...rather than working out....:(

No comments: