Friday, April 1, 2011

I felt like a cat....

You know, the days when a cat perches on the back of a couch or on a window ledge where the spring sun comes pouring in, languishing there all stretched out, not a care in the world (I'm assuming!), sleeping away the day.

Well, I went with husband on his grocery trip today.  I knew I couldn't go in to all the stores and walk around but I went anyway and just stayed in the vehicle, sitting in the sun, jacket open, gloves off, window open and enjoying the sights, smells and sounds of a spring day.  I stretched out my knee and attempted to forget about it...which I did, as the warmth of the sun made me drowsy with sleep.  Off went my good man into four grocery stores while I, like a cat, stretched out in the front seat and enjoyed the pleasure of a beauteous day....after a long, house-bound winter.  How good it is to be outside, to hear the sound of cars and people being splashed by oncoming various vehicles.  Does my heart good...:)

Last stop was a "large box store", whereupon I decided I would brave the long walk (with one crutch) and go with husband.  It was good to be able to plop the crutch into the shopping cart and lean on the cart while in the store.  Small things please me.

While in the store, we came across a good friend.  We have been waiting to hear if her cancer has recurred.  She announced to us that it had.  In the middle of the ensuing conversation, my little knee problem became obscured by this life and death situation of a friend.  It allowed me to put my life into proper perspective.  May God watch over her and care for her and renew her life with His breath.

Sitting in the sun is a blessing, a gift, I realized after our discussion....it is something to be appreciated and given thanks for.  Some folks can't even sit in the sun without facing pain and an uncertain future....and I could.

I will enjoy life a little more fully and appreciatively after today....

1 comment:

matt said...

Sometimes it's good to have our perspective jolted and I'm glad you were able to appreciate and embrace it.