Saturday, April 2, 2011

25 years ago today....

was the day my dad died....

I like to remember him...and I often do...especially when I find something amusing.  I laugh heartily.  He used to do that too, when something tickled him, which was often.  He laughed a lot.  One of the things I enjoy when I'm at a Benson Family Reunion is hearing laughter.  We have great senses of humour and to sit around and chat and laugh at various stories and ourselves brings me, and all of us, great joy.

So remembering my dad makes me smile.  I am fortunate to have that kind of memory of him because there are so many people who cry or get angry or are fearful when they think of their dads.

His gentleness made me feel secure and content.  His appreciation of nature...flowers, in particular, was passed on to me and I am grateful for that.

Dad enjoyed people.  All kinds of people.  He could strike up a conversation with anyone, anywhere about anything.  He had a gracious spirit that allowed you to feel good about yourself.

He also teased folk.  He used to tease my mom about her Irish temper, and my mother's mom about how the English always had to look after the Irish.  It was all in good fun.

So it is good to remember him, and how he touched so many people with his positive attitude about life.  He was an encouragement to many....especially me.

He loved his grandchildren!  Of all the things I could wish for, it would have been to have him live to see his great granddaughter.  One day they will meet and one day we all will be together.

Until then, I have good, lasting and loving memories of a dad who lived a good life and loved me a whole bunch.
His favorite fun time was giving Shannon rides in the wheel barrow full of leaves....

and reading to Matthew.

Peace to your memory, Philip Benson....dad....grandpa....you are missed....still.

1 comment:

Melody said...

Yup, he was a great guy, always a smile on his face and a kind word--and yeah, you remind me of him lots, girl!