Sunday, May 1, 2011

We are reflections....

Whether we like it or not, our faces reflect a great deal of what's happening on the inside of our person.  Granted, we are all made uniquely, some with natural tendencies to have a constant smile stuck to our faces while others who would rather not work those upwardly inclined facial muscles. 

So, we have the smiley-looking folks and the serious-looking folks.  Outwardly, upon observation, one would think that the latter would need to adjust their inner selves in order to evoke a more positive reflection outwardly.

Following a discussion with husband in this regard, he was very quick to point out that what one sees on the outside, doesn't always reflect our inner selves.  I had to agree with him on that.  I know people who speak in positive and encouraging ways and their hearts are often in a good place of seeing the best in others, even though their faces don't always necessarily reflect total joy....complete with a smiley face:)

The reason I bring this up at all is because for the past two Sundays, while helping with the singing during our worship service, I have noticed very few people singing with smiles on their faces.....even on Easter Sunday!!!  And today was no better.  I have now come to the conclusion that it may take effort on our part to sing AND smile at the same time.  It's just difficult doing both.  I had been wondering about it though and I initially thought to myself that we have an unhappy congregation.....but in reality, we have an unsmiling congregation.  Two totally different things.

So, I shall not be so judgmental from now on.  I shall help lead singing and worship and not worry about why everyone looking towards the front does not express a sense of joy....I shall just enjoy their faces actually being there....with or without expression!

Praise God for the ability to smile....or not!


No comments: