Monday, August 1, 2011

Hit and run...

That's what happened yesterday.

There was a scrub baseball game at Andy Zwack Field.

I was wondering who amongst us at church would actually show up.  In the past months there have been sore and damaged hips, knees, shoulders, ankles, hands, feet, backs and various other non-discript areas of misery so I was pleasantly surprised to find folks actually take to the field.

We were a bit late arriving but the game was well in hand when we arrived.  Shouts of "SWING THAT BAT!", "RUN, RUN, RUN!!!" could be heard as I pulled out my trusty Olympus.  When I started clicking my camera, all I could see in the lens were people hobbling, limping, and slowly shuffling down base lines.  I kind of chuckled as I watched...but as the minutes wore on and the 'game' became a tiny bit more competitive, I observed the lame running hard, the laid-up really leaning into their swings and tired, old bones begin to have a real zeal for the game!  Amazing what a bit of competition can do for a person!!!

Later on, I began to hear shouts of, "WELL DONE!!!", "GREAT PLAY!!!", and "YOU CAN DO IT!!!"

The whole scene began to be one of encouragement as opposed to competition.  It was a thing to see!

Amazing how we can be of so much more value to another when we have a right attitude.  I think God wants us to be an encouragement to one another and what a better place to do that than in a fellowship of believers.

Hit and run????  YES!!!  GO TEAM!!!

 Pastor Seth and Bob enjoying 'a moment' on 2nd base:)

 Dave let 'er fly!
 Gordon pitched a great game.

 I think their team was winning!
 Pastor Stacia held off a second base runner!
 After having his ankle cast for many weeks, John played a good game!

 Phil watched for 'that woman' flying into home plate!
 There were some great hits and infield plays!

 Tammy and Ken discussing, amongst many other things, the play at third base!

 Masa had never played baseball before, but he got the ball wayyyyy out in the field!!

Janet was on the ready!
 
 And she almost ran over her husband, Phil, at home plate!!

 Gordon got to third base!!!
 Bob, the 'old pro' let go some pretty fine swings.
 Intense running action by Phil!
I think Pastor Seth was wondering about something! 

And the game ended and all went to their respective homes, digging out the liniment, tensor bandages and ice packs! Yes, a good time was had by all!

5 comments:

Matthew said...

Sounds like a great time. It's good to be reminded that sports CAN be fun!

Phil L said...

I'm still hurting.

Anonymous said...

Me too...:)

Marc said...

Ah, church softball games! I'm glad Gateway is having them...

Linea said...

Great photos. Almost feel as if I was there.