Monday, December 5, 2011

Thinking random Christmas thoughts....

I'm beginning to panic.  House needs a good cleaning.  I have no baking done to speak of.  A couple of presents have been bought. No tree yet.  Not one decoration is up.  Nothing.  Zero.  Nada.  No thing.  Zip.

Then I get to thinking about all this hoopla.

What am I celebrating?  Why am I celebrating?  Do I need to do all this stuff?

It's a birth that I'm celebrating.  I'm celebrating that birth because I believe the birth of that baby changed the course of history and I am a part of that history...as is everyone else on earth.  There are some things that God has done, I believe, because he has needed to get our attention.  This birth caught the attention of the people of His day too...King Herod, according to historical accounts, feared his kingship would be eventually taken over by this baby they called Jesus, so he had all babies two years of age and younger in Judea, murdered.  That's a pretty reliable account of the importance of the birth of Jesus, I should think.  The stories have been recorded and passed down through the centuries and this Christmas we will again recount that story...the birth of a baby in Bethlehem of Judea....a Baby God thought important enough to be born into a world of darkness.

God is still trying to capture our attention.  Jesus shows us a way of living, of becoming more than we think we can be, of making a choice to change into something better.  Every Christmas we remember that story of Mary and Joseph, the shepherds and kings and stables and angels..... and how Jesus came into the world as a light, a way, a path.  We can choose to walk that path...or not.

I think a lit path is much easier to follow than one that takes me into the darkness.

So, in that, I shall put up lights this Christmas as a reminder that we have a Light to follow as we walk through the darkness, a Light that will bring us closer to God.

And the answer to the question "Do I need all this stuff?"...ie. decorations, trees, food, presents etc. etc.....probably not; but then again, I'm a sucker for parties.  I love to get things all ready for guests and treat them royally!  I love to celebrate with friends and get all spiffed up and let them know they are loved!

I'll do that for Jesus on His birthday too.....let the party begin:)

"Glory to God in the highest and on earth, peace, good will toward men."

2 comments:

Matthew said...

Yeah, I think decorations and baking are okay, too, that it's okay to celebrate with traditions that only point towards that which we are celebrating.

"Jesus shows us a way of living, of becoming more than we think we can be, of making a choice to change into something better."

I like that:)

At the same time, I'm not sure how many of our collective Christmas traditions really reflect the way of living he expressed. Some, I'm sure, but certainly there are some that seem to not line up too well at all, perhaps?

Sharon Kent said...

Yes, perhaps. But perhaps Christmas is one of those times when God chooses to emphasize the importance of family and family love and care for one another. A time too for seeing where there is no family love and care and to attempt to do something concrete to help in that circumstance. Lots to think about....thanks, Matt.