Monday, March 7, 2011

Heavy breathing....



Ya, trying really hard not to think much about tomorrow's MRI.  Don't get me wrong, I really want to have this done and it is a great privilege to have such advanced technology available to me! 

But I look at this thing and I get a strange feeling.

Yes, my name is Sharon Kent....and I'm claustrophobic!

I think I'll be OK if they don't put anything on my head or face or arms or hands or feet....and just let me lie there.  I may be fine.  If they could just pass me through this thing, however, I think I will have to be in there for an hour or more.  Now, to a claustrophobic, that does not sit well.

But I'm having visions of wanting to get up and run and banging my head on that thing or not being able to get out and my heart begins to race and I'm sweating and breathing fast and there's no way out.....oh my....

I think I'll take drugs!

2 comments:

matt said...

This is where a good meditation practice becomes helpful, or any kind of centering spiritual practice. The feelings of claustrophobia may or may not disappear but they need not control your actions. That's the good news!

I'm sure you'll do fine:) Let me know how it goes.

Sharon Kent said...

Yes, I was prepared for the worst! I even had my eyes closed in preparation for it all and as my body was being ushered into "the tube", I was thinking of things, good things, that are beyond myself and my selfishness. It was going well...and then she said into the earphones I was wearing...Sharon, that's as far as you will go into the machine. I will leave your head out. Hope this is OK for you." It was almost as if God spoke those words and I was so relieved..so I sat with my head out, looking up at this humungous machine towering over me and I was just simply thankful...not just that my head was out, but that there was this machine that would help me and others too. It was a very humbling experience...perhaps the beginning of meditation exercises!